Monday, November 2, 2009

Thank you, Thank you very much

I don't tend to think I am old fashioned in any way. However, I feel I have lived long enough to see the dissipation of some formalities. One such formality is the thank-you card. Rarely do you see such cards get handed out these days. Is it because we are into the cyberworld now and a "virtual" thank you suffices?
The wedding invitation realm seems to have been hit the hardest. I can number on one hand how many thank you cards I have received in the last TEN, yes TEN, years. I have been to numerous wedding and have bought countless gifts. However, the bride doesn't seem to make the time to pen a note to show her appreciation.
I find that the excuses don't stand up with me, whatever they may be. It seems that the little inserts they put in notifying the invitee where the couple is registered has taken the place of a note of gratitude.
My mother taught me not to use the item until the giver was appropriately thanked. I wish this would hold true for all, not just brides.
Given it is November, perhaps we should make an effort to thank more people and look for ways to show our gratitude.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I have often thought the same thing.
Just yesterday we received a Thank You note from our niece for her Birthday Gift/
She not only thanked us for the money put for all the little gifts I gathered to put in a basket. She acknowledged that she appreciated the effort that it took for me to assemble it.
WOW...and she just turned 16.
Her older brother and sister have joined her in always sending a thank you note.
I know that this practice was taught to them by their parents.
I once read a question of an aunt to Miss Manners...or maybe it was actually a comment. For many years, she had sent her nieces and nephews monetary gifts and never received as much as an acknowledgement. She said...I just stopped sending them money